Find answers to some of our more frequently asked questions.

About University Hall, UWA's residential college

What is a residential college?

A residential college provides accommodation for students within a collegiate, community environment. We provide more than just accommodation, with a range of events and programs offered to enrich student's experiences.

When you live at University Hall, you'll get:

  • great value student accommodation,
  • access to free programs and events,
  • access to a range of quality study and living facilities,
  • friends who are just a few doors away.
How is living in a residential college different to living in an apartment?

When you live in a residential college you are part of a large student community. Your room becomes a platform for you to engage in many more activities and opportunities within the community you live.

At UniHall, there's a continuous theme of community and connected-ness; whether it's :

  • engaging with others socially,
  • engaging in your academics to grow and succeed, or engaging with the wider academic community to share learning,
  • engaging in your career and taking active steps to develop professionally, or connecting with others to grow your professional network, and
  • engaging with your hobbies, passions or interests, sharing these with others, and connecting with new ones.
How is UniHall associated with UWA?

University Hall is the University of Western Australia's (UWA) own college residence. 

When you live at University Hall you're living in a residential college that is operated by UWA, and you'll benefit from great access to UWA's wider services, programs and events. 

Also, being part of UWA means that only UWA students, or students doing UWA-affiliated courses such as Taylors College or CELT, are able to live at University Hall.

How many students live at University Hall?
More than 750 UWA students live at University Hall, making us the largest residential college in WA.
What does rent at University Hall include?

When you live at University Hall, your rent covers a comprehensive range of lifestyle services:

  • private room for the period of your lease,
  • regular room cleans,
  • meals in the Dining Hall (for all room packages except the one bedroom apartments for postgrad students),
  • wifi and internet in room,
  • a gym membership to UWA Sport,
  • study rooms,
  • common spaces and recreational areas,
  • access to a range of events and programs. 

Applying to live at UniHall

Do you charge an application fee?

When applying through the UWA Central Portal there is a one-off (non-refundable) registration fee of $125AUD.

When should I apply to live at UniHall?

You can apply to live at UniHall up to one year in advance.

You don't need to have your UWA offer before you make an application to live at UniHall, but you will need to share this once it comes through to finalise your place. 

Rooms fill up quickly, so to give yourself the best chance at securing a place, we recommend making an application as early as possible. 

Can I select my room preference?

When applying through the UWA Central Portal you will be asked to select your college preference and not your room type. Place UniHall as your number one preference and our admissions team will allocate you an available room.

How do I apply if I'm an exchange student?

Apply through the UWA Central Portal. During your application you'll be asked if you're a study abroad student – check this box when you see it. If you need further assistance please contact our Admissions Team admissions@unihall.uwa.edu.au.

Can I see the rooms and facilities?

Yes! You can visit us to take a tour of UniHall by booking online at a time that suits you.
If you can’t physically visit us then you can take a virtual room tour on the website. Just click on the room type you would like to see from our main rooms page.

What do I bring?

All UniHallers

To help get you started with your packing we've listed some recommended items to bring with you:

  • Clothing/Outfits for:
    • Cafe crawls
    • The beach (swim wear)
    • UniHall ball
      • Men: Formal suit, dress pants, shirt and tie
      • Women: formal gown or dress
    • Sports and exercise (gym, walking, jogging active wear)
    • Formal dinner (no denim jeans) 
      • Men: Formal suit, jacket, dress pants, shirt and tie
      • Women: evening dress or skirt, shirt or blouse, nice pants
      • International students: traditional cultural attire
    • ResClub parties and night outs
  • Footwear for class, active events and formal occasions
  • Your own pillow (you are provided with one but having your own is a good feeling)
  • Coat hangers
  • Clothes airer
  • Toiletries (shampoo, soap, tooth brush and paste, etc)
  • Laundry hamper and detergent
  • Musical instruments (you can practice in our music rooms)
  • Personal items such as your alarm clock, camera, USB, books, laptop, etc.
  • Electrical appliances such as power point adaptors (AUS), extension cords, ethernet cable (for internet connection in room)
    • These items can also be purchased from the UniHall Office when you arrive
  • First Aid Kit (one is available in the UniHall Office)
  • Bicycle and a good quality lock (when you arrive visit the UniHall Office to collect your bike sticker)
  • Room decorations - it is your home so decorate it with photos (note: only blue tack can be used on the walls)
  • A great community spirit!
Studio Room or One Bedroom Apartment Residents

When you're packing for your new studio room and one bedroom apartment don't forget to include the following:

  • Pots and pans
  • Bowls, plates and cups
  • Cutlery
  • Kettle
  • Toaster
  • Dish washing liquid and sponge or dish cloth
  • Vacuum and broom (Also available to borrow for free from the UniHall Office)
  • Double bed linen for a one bedroom apartment (bed size 137cm x 187cm)
  • King single bed linen for a studio room (bed size 106cm x 203cm)
  • Bath mat
  • Bath towels and a kitchen tea towel
  • Tooth brush holder and soap dispenser
  • Coffee machine (optional)
  • Slow cooker (optional)
  • Toasted sandwich maker (optional)
What not to bring

Save yourself some room and don't worry about packing the following:

  • Your own furniture
  • Candles (including decorative, memento or souvenir candles)
  • More than two bags of items (especially for standard and standard premium room residents)
  • Matches (stove tops are electric)
  • Electric blankets
  • Fan (blow) or bar heaters
  • Oil burners, lamps and incense
  • Pets
  • For health and safety reasons there are power board outlets and extension cords available for purchase in the UniHall Office. These have been tested and approved by the UWA safety team.
  • There is a list of dangerous, illegal and prohibited items which you can find in the UniHall Handbook.

Checking in to UniHall

Where is University Hall?

University Hall is located directly across the road from The University of Western Australia. Our address is: 130 Winthrop Ave, Crawley, Western Australia.

When do I check in?

Once you have accepted your offer to live at UniHall, our admissions team will send you instructions on our Welcome day date. Keep checking your inbox for updates.

All residents, whether arriving at UniHall for the first time or returning home, arrive on our Welcome Day.

If you need to arrive early or late, special exemptions may be given to Taylors College students, postgraduates (e.g. Medicine and Dentistry students) who commence their studies earlier, or those who are travelling internationally. Please contact our admissions team with these requests at admissions@uwa.edu.au

How do I get to UniHall from the airport?

There are a few options for you to travel from the airport to UniHall. They are:

  1. Order an Uber: Download the Uber app on your mobile and insert your destination as 130 Winthrop Ave, Crawley.

  2. Order a Taxi: There’s an official taxi rank waiting outside the arrival terminal doors. Inform the driver your destination is 130 Winthrop Ave, Crawley.

  3. Catch a Transperth bus: Bus number 380 will take you into the Perth city where you can then catch the number 950 or 102 from stand B1. These buses will drop you off directly out the front of The University of Western Australia which is right across the road from UniHall. You then just need to walk through the underpass (cross the road) and you will arrive at the Hall. For more information or to plan your journey, visit the Transperth Website.
Are there any additional fees?

At UniHall the only additional fees include the following:

  • Confirmation Fee (one off charge for first year residents only for ResClub Membership and Welcome Week activities): $350 for full year, $250 for new residents in Semester 2 only
  • Parking permit: Undercover $450 or External bays $375 (spaces are limited so apply at the UniHall Office)
  • Direct debit bounce fees (only charged if your payment bounces back): $2.50


Living at University Hall

Who are ResLife and ResClub?

Residential Life, also known as ResLife, is the heart and soul of UniHall. The team which consists of our Principal, Deputy Principal, Residential Life Coordinators and Residential Advisors are here to support you throughout your stay at UniHall. If you need personal help, academic support or if you want to sign up for community and leadership programs, contact ResLife at unihall@uwa.edu.au.

University Hall’s Residents’ Club (ResClub) is a voluntary student organisation which organise a whole range of social events for you make friends at UniHall.

Some of the events you can look forward to include:

  • Movie nights
  • River cruises
  • Start and end of semester parties
  • Games nights
  • University Hall Ball
  • Café crawls
  • Themed parties and more!
Will I feel safe and secure?

UniHall provides a safe and supportive environment for residents. Staff members are available in the office during office hours (9am- 5pm), with UWA Security patrolling the grounds after hours. There are also six staff members and 29 Residential Advisors living onsite who can offer assistance after hours.

If you require emergency support at any time, contact UWA Security on 6488 2222.

To access your room and the facilities around UniHall, your UWA student card will be coded and will essential become your key to the Hall. You card will also have your Dining Hall meal plan so you don't need to sign in for your meals - just swipe your card and grab a plate.

How can I get involved with sports?

There are plenty of sporting opportunities at UniHall:

Intra-Hall Cup: A friendly competition between UniHall houses - anyone can join and play team sports such as soccer, volleyball basketball and more. Sports are generally played in the evenings in the UniHall outdoor quads. At the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the Cup!

UniHall Sports (UHS): UHS has a range of sports including ultimate frisbee, basketball, soccer, volleyball and netball. You’ll join a team of UniHallers which play in the UWA Social Sports competition.

Inter-College Sport: This competition hosts a range of sports for residents of all UWA colleges to play. You can join one of the many UniHall teams which compete against the other four colleges for the Inter-College Cups.

To join any of these teams get in touch with your Residential Advisor or Residents’ Club sport representative.

Are UniHall activities compulsory?

UniHall activities are designed for our diverse community to explore new cultures, get active in sports, find academic support and to meet new friends. As a UniHaller, you have the flexibility to choose the events and activities you would like to participate in.

The only activities you’re required to attend are Welcome Day (to check into UniHall) and some UWA Orientation sessions during O-Week to help you settle into your new home. Apart from these, our events at UniHall are not compulsory. Your O-Week calendar will be emailed to you before you arrive at UniHall so keep an eye on your inbox.

Are meals included?

Yes, meals are included in most room packages. The Dining Hall at UniHall is open 12 meal sessions each week and serves a delicious buffet selection of food which caters to our diverse community’s needs. You will find a selection of fresh salads, a station to make your own sandwiches plus a wide range of hot dishes. Some menu favourites include Noodle Day, Burger Day and Italian Day. Your meal plan will depend on your room package, as follows:

Standard Standard Premium Studio One Bedroom Apartment
7 meals per week 7 meals per week 7 meals per week 3 meals per week

You have the freedom to decide whether you would like your meals for lunch or dinner within the meal sessions offered.

Can you cater for special dietary requirements?

UniHall caters as best they can for your dietary needs. There are vegetarian, gluten free and Halal options on the menu. Have a chat with our ResLife team who work with the chefs to cater for the community’s needs.

How do I keep up to date with what's happening around UniHall?

You'll find there are so many activities and fun things happening around UniHall everyday! to keep up to date and add things into your calendar you can:

  • like us on Facebook
  • follow us on Instagram
  • subscribe to us on YouTube
  • ask your Residential Advisor (who lives on your floor)
  • check your UWA student email address for event and program invitations
  • check the plasma screens located in common areas around University Hall
  • download our UniHall app (the first along College Row) email unihall@uwa.edu.au
  • visit us in the UniHall Office - there's always a friendly face ready to say hello
Where can I buy my text books?

There are several places on campus in the Guild Village where you can purchase your required textbooks. For new books visit the Co-op book store – they also have stationary supplies, IT equipment and can fix your laptop if you need.

For second hand text books you can visit The Guild Secondhand Bookshop or jump online via StudentConnect under the course and unit link after you have enrolled in your units. The Guild TexChange also allows you to save heaps on new textbook prices!

Do I have to achieve certain grades to remain at UniHall?

You must be enrolled as a full time student at UWA to become and to remain as a UniHall resident. If you begin to fail your units, this may affect your enrolment. There is plenty of academic support at UniHall where you can find mentors, tutors, drop in sessions and study groups. UniHall will do its best to support you in reaching your academic potential.

Can guests stay with me?

Yes, you are welcome to have guests stay over for up to six nights per semester, excluding O-Weeks and Examination periods. Contact the UniHall Office 24 hours in advance to complete the required application form.

Are there any laundry facilities?

Yes, there are communal laundries with ironing facilities on site. Residents can purchase laundry tokens (3 tokens for $4) for the machines from our UniHall Office (located downstairs underneath the Dining Hall). You will need to purchase your own laundry detergent for the machines.

What happens with room cleaning?

At the start of the year you’ll receive your cleaning schedule for your entire lease period from you Residential Advisor.

How do I access my UWA gym membership and set this up?

Your UWA gym membership will be activated and ready to go on the starting date of your lease. It will de-activate on the same day as your lease end date. Just pop on your exercise gear, head to UWA Sport on campus and scan your UWA student ID card to access the gym.

For Gym opening hours and class timetables check online at www.sport.uwa.edu.au

Where can I hang with friends?

No matter what house you're living, you can access the many common spaces located around UniHall for you and your friends to study, hang out, enjoy a meal and just relax. Some of these include study rooms, library, computer room, music rooms, games room (TV with FOXTEL), TV rooms and shared kitchens.

How do I pay my fees?

All students are required to pay two weeks rent in advance to secure their place at UniHall. These funds are used to offset the first two weeks of rent. From then on, the rent will be deducted from your nominated Australian bank account weekly, on Monday by direct debit. 

Our preferred method of payment is Direct Debit. UniHall residents can either pay their fees in full up front or by direct debit on a weekly basis. For further inquiries please contact Admissions on admissions@unihall.uwa.edu.au

How do I set up an Australian bank account and access money?

You can set up an Australian bank account at the Westpac branch located on campus in the Guild Village or you can head into Claremont Quarter or the city for other branch options. To begin the process, first call your preferred bank and arrange an appointment. You will need to bring your passport and potentially other ID items with you.

You can access you Australian money by visiting the bank or by locaitng an ATM. Several ATMs are located on campus inside the Guild Village. You can also find them in Broadway Shopping Centre and along Hampden Road. Take a look at our online map to help you find local ATMs and shopping areas.

Where do I go to organise a new phone number?

You can purchase an Australian SIM card on campus in the Guild Village at the News Agency next door to Co-Op book store.

If you wish to purchase a phone, SIM card and/or arrange an Australian number, we also recommend visiting a Telstra, Vodaphone or Optus store at Claremont Quarter or the Perth CBD.
How do I get around?

UniHall’s central location makes it easy to head to the shops, city, beach and other entertainment areas. Many are within walking distance (ranging from 5-15 minutes) or you can cycle there. We have plenty of secure areas to store your  bike so make sure you pack a good lock and register your bike with us in the UniHall Office.

UniHall also has a Bike Share Program where you can hire a bike for an hour, a day or a weekend. Head to the UniHall Office for bike availability and to book in your preferred time.

A bus stop is located directly out the front of UniHall where you can catch bus numbers 23, 102, 107 or 950 to anywhere you need to go. For a discounted ticked make sure you purchase a student SmartRider card. SmartRider is a reusable smart card, which allows easy, hassle free travel on Transperth services within Western Australia. We highly recommend applying for a card at the Newsagency located in the Guild Village on campus.

Plus we have The Student Car Share Program at UniHall where you can hire out a car for a couple of hours, the day or the weekend. You can sign up online here studentcarshare.com.au